Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mini-Reviews

I would like to use this post to bring light to some of my favoritve artists, bands, and writers out there. Now, I will totally understand if you ignore this; it is one persons taste, and often, my taste can be a bit strange.

Arists:

I have, in the pursuit of my own creative endevours, been forunet enough as to find those few artists out there that just make me stop, and stare at -everything- they do. It is a rare feat, when one is wholly impressed with the entire breath of a person's art. But I have found, over the years, at least two that have done it for me.

Barnaby Whitfield
This man is amazing. He effortlessly captures human emotions with chilling representations of savagely drawn men and women. He is known for his alabaster skin on humans, contrasted with blood-red hues for lips, cheeks, and other points of pigmentation. His art can often leap into the realm of fantasy without touching on fantastical elements (Which, to me, is amazingly difficult to do!) His representations and use of pastels is chillingly accurate at times, making one shun away from the picture's gaze... more over, as an added plus, he has done the art of one of my favorite band's cd poster.
Check out his art at http://barnabywhitfield.com

Jae Liu WUBAO/五宝
Other wise known gunnmgally from deviantart.com, this young artist has conquered a styled all her own. I have constantly been impressed with how she adapts 'typical' boundaries of anime style, and American style art into her own. Both her comics and her finished pieces are amazing; her use of color astounds me, and I am forever jealous of her mastered style.
Art: http://gunnmgally.deviantart.com

BANDS

I'm not going to dwadle long about bands- I really can't speak about them much. You honestly just have to listen to them.

The Hush Sound
Back with a new cd Goodbye Blues, the Hush Sound has again wowed me. With a more matured (female) voice, they bring across a new dimension I'd yet to hear from the group.
Listen: http://www.purevolume.com/TheHushSound

Tilly and the Wall
With a tap-dancer as their percussionist, Tilly and the Wall bring fourth a new sound to the world of music; one which deviates from rhythmic drum beats into a quirky, popish clicking.
Listen: http://tillyandthewall.com/music

BOOKS
I have but one book to add today, (well a series), for I've been picking it up between bouts of studying to anazlye in my free time.

Kushiel's Legacy
The author of this series is one of my favortives, Jacqueline Carey. Now, forewarning, this series of (soon to be 6 novels) is not for the pure minds; Carey is unafraid to reach into rather... unorthodox sences. But, what I love about Carey's novels, is both her wondrous intrigue, description, and riveting characters. By the third book, you even begin to feel -sorry- for the country's escaped traitor. I would also, recommend her series "Godslayer" if you don't like 'unorthodox' pieaces :)
Her books are all historical-fantasy. Neither really deal with high wizards, or spells, but rather more real; just set in a fanatical world. Almost as if history had developed differently, we'd be living in tere de'ange. They are -amazing- though.

(P.S. I would post pictures/ect, but it doesn't seem to be working :( )

No comments: